How’s Your Cholesterol Doing?
Did you know the vast major of high cholesterol is due to dietary choices? ...Monitoring your cholesterol levels and making healthy lifestyle choices are all part of living a long and hearty life.
Did you know the vast major of high cholesterol is due to dietary choices? Monitoring your cholesterol levels and making healthy lifestyle choices are all part of living a long and hearty life. In honor of National Cholesterol Education Month, we want to share with you healthy life choices, we highly encourage, that you can start making today in order to maintain or lower your cholesterol levels.
- Fix all your sandwiches on whole grain bread.
- Stick to paper-filtered and instant coffees.
- Start three days of the week with oatmeal.
- Up your intake of fiber slowly.
- Eat more berries and vegetables.
- Switch to edamame as a snack or barley instead of rice.
- Replace butter with olive or canola oil while cooking.
- Minimize or avoid animal products like cheese, dairy milk, yogurt, creams, and animal meats.
- Avoid deep fried foods, pastries, cookies, and other items cooked in butter.
- Switch to non-dairy kinds of milk like almond or soy and substitute animal proteins to plant-based proteins.
The more animal products consumed, the higher “bad” cholesterol (LDL) becomes, which can put you at risk for heart attacks and strokes. Another type of bad cholesterol is called triglycerides (TG) that can raise your levels by eating excess amounts of sugars or things that turn into sugars like starches. The more vegan meals and snacks consumed, the lower cholesterol levels will be. If it’s time for you or your family to come in for a check-up, schedule your appointment today by calling (760) 942-0118 or visit our Patient Portal.